Selected Previous Questions and Answers for preparing Indian Railway Group D Examinations.
1. Which of the following is a major tea producing state?
(b) Madhya Pradesh
(c) Uttar Pradesh
2. Which of the following states is a major producer of wheat?
(c) Arunachal Pradesh
3. Which of the following states is an important producer of sugar cane?
(b) Jammu and Kashmir
4. The Earth rotates 360 degree in about:
(a) 12 hours
(b) 24 hours
(c) 36 hours
(d) 48 hours
5. A leap year has:
(a) 365 Days
(b) 366 Days
(c) 367 Days
(d) 368 Days
6. The occurrence of days and nights is the result of:
(a) Revolution of the Earth around the Sun.
(b) Rotation of the Earth about its axis.
(c) Movement of the Moon around the Earth.
(d) Newton’s laws of motion.
7. The duration of day and night becomes equal at all place on:
(a) 21st March and 23rd September.
(b) 21st March and 21st June.
(c) 21st June and 22nd December.
(d) Does not happen.
8. Solar eclipse occurs when:
(a) The moon comes in between the Sun and the Earth.
(b) The Earth comes in between the Sun and the Moon.
(c) The Sun comes in between the Moon and the Earth.
(d) None of the above.
9. The crust of the Earth is divided into two parts. The Hydrosphere and the Land mass. The land mass occupies:
(a) 50% of the Earth’s surface area.
(b) About 29.2% of the Earth’s surface area.
(c) 80% of the Earth’s surface area.
(d) It keeps on varying.
10. The Manas National Park is situated in the state of:
(a) Andhra Pradesh
(c) Himachal Pradesh
(d) Jammu and Kashmir
11. Mausynram receives the highest rainfall in the world. It is located in the state of:
(c) Arunachal Pradesh.
12. Green Revolution in India led to a substantial increase in the production of:
(a) Food grains
13. ‘White Revolution’ in India is related to the development of:
(a) Dairy Industry
(b) Paper Industry
(c) Silk Industry
(d) Sugar Industry
14. What is a Tsunami?
(a) Name of a flower.
(b) Name of a Mountain.
(c) A series of water waves caused by the displacement of a large volume of a body of water.
(d) Name of a virus.
15. Which country was hit by an earthquake and tsunami in March 2011 resulting in loss of lives?
16. The zonal head quarter of Northeast Frontier Railway is at:
(a) New Jalpaiguri
17. The railway track in the Dar jeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) is:
(a) Narrow gauge
(b) Metre gauge
(c) Broad gauge
(d) None of these
18. The Palk Strait lies between the countries:
(a) Sri Lanka and Maldives.
(b) India and Sri Lanka
(c) India and Maldives
(d) Bangladesh and Myanmar
19. Richter scale measures the magnitude of:
20. ‘Jhum’ practiced in the northeastern states of India is a method of:
21. The Kaziranga National Park is famous for its:
(a) Asiatic Lion
(b) Bengal Tiger
(c) One horned rhinoceros
22. Which is the largest continent?
(d) North America
23. ‘One Light Year’ is a unit of:
24. Which of the following is not a renewable resource?
(c) Solar energy
25. Which is the third nearest planet to the Sun?
26. The Pole Star indicates the direction to the:
27. How many countries share land boundaries with India?
28. Kalinga is the ancient name of:
(b) Coastal Orissa
(c) West Bengal
29. Which of the following is a natural resource?
30. The colour of Coal is:
31. Which of the following fuels are used for running automobiles?
32. Paper was invented in:
33. Two-thirds of the Earth’s surface is covered with water and therefore from the outer space, the earth appears:
34. Global warming is increasing at an alarming rate mostly due to increase of the amount of:
(a) Oxygen in the air
(b) Nitrogen in the air
(c) Carbon dioxide in the air
(d) Hydrogen in the air
35. The President of India holds office for a period of:
(a) 6 Years
(b) 5 Years
(c) 4 Years
(d) 3 years
36. The Parliament of India has houses.
37. Which of the following is known as the Pink City of India?
38. Who is the President of India?
(a) APJ Abdul Kalam
(b) Somnath Chatterjee
(c) Pranab Mukherjee
(d) Manmohan Singh
39. Which state has the highest literacy rate in the coutry?
(b) Uttar Pradesh
(c) Madhya Pradesh
40. Which of the following states celebrate Bihu Festival?
(a) Himachal Pradesh
(d) Andhra Pradesh
41. The first silent feature film made in India was:
(a) Raja harishchandra
(b) Alam Ara
(c) Kisan Kanya
(d) Mother India
42.Stilwell Road (constructed during World War II and originally called Ledo Road) connected:
(a) Northeast India with China
(b) India with Afghanistan
(c) India with East Pakistan
(d) India with Bhutan
43. 26th January in India is celebrated as:
(a) Independence Day
(b) Republic Day
(c) Revolution Day
(d) Parliament Day
44. Majuli is the largest fresh water river island of the world. It is located in the state of:
(d) Arunachal Pradesh
45. The Tawang monstery, the famous Buddhist monastery in India is located in:
(b) Himachal Pradesh
(d) Arunachal Pradesh
46. Sangam literature contains:
(a) Earliest works in Tamil
(b) Earliest works in Sanskrit.
(c) Earliest works in Hindi.
(d) Earliest works in Bengali.
47. The river Brahmaputra flows through the state of:
(a) Tamil Nadu
48. Which of the following states does not share its boundary with Bangladesh?
(a) West Bengal
49. The temple of Goddess kamakhya in Guwahati (Assam) is situated at the top of a peak of the:
(a) North Cachar Hills
(b) Karbi Hills
(c) Nilachal Hills
(d) Barail Hills
50. The National Anthem ‘Jana-Gana-Mana’ was composed by:
(a) Mahatma Gandhi
(b) Rabindra Nath Tagore
(c) Bankim Chandra Chatterjee
(d) Motilal Nehru
1. A 2. D 3. A 4. B 5. B
6. B 7. A 8. A 9. B 10. B
11. D 12. A 13. A 14. C 15. C
16. C 17. A 18. B 19. B 20. B
21. C 22. B 23. C 24. D 25. B
26. B 27. C 28. B 29. C 30. A
31. C 32. A 33. A 34. C 35. B
36. A 37. B 38. C 39. A 40. B
41. A 42. A 43. B 44. B 45. D
46. A 47. D 48. D 49. C 50. B