Current Affairs September 2014 Questions and Answers, Current Affairs September 2014 Questions and Answers in PDF file for preparing PSC, SSC, UPSC, Civil Services, Bank, RRB and all Other Competitive Examinations in India.
1. India bagged how many gold medals in the 20th Commonwealth Games held in Glasgow?
2. Who won gold in the men’s badminton singles in the Commonwealth Games?
Answer: Paruppalli Kashyap
3. Who is appointed as the Deputy National Security Advisor?
Answer: Arvind Gupta
4. Name the Foreign Office Minister of Britain who resigned from the Government in protest against Britain’s policy on Gaza?
Answer: Sayeeda Warsi
5. Justice Manjula Chellur has recently been appointed as the Chief Justice of which high court?
6. Which eminent cartoonist, who created the character ‘Chacha Chaudhary’, passed away on 5th August?
Answer: Pran Kumar Sharma
7. Who won gold medal in men’s discus throw in the Commonwealth Games?
Answer: Vikas Gowda
8. Which public sector company was recently accorded Navaratna status?
Answer: Container Corporation of India Limited (CONCOR)
9. Name the non-governmental organization from Pakistan which won the Magsaysay Award 2014?
Answer: The Citizen Foundation.
10. Who created record of the fastest serve in women’s tennis?
Answer: Sabine Lisicki (Germany)
11. The hundred years of the outbreak of the World War I was observed on:
Answer: August 4
12. Who received this year’s Copley Medal, given by the Royal Society of London?
Answer: Alec Jeffreys
13. International Day of Friendship was observed on:
Answer: July 30
14. Government of India has raised the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in defence sector to …………… percent?
15. Who has recently been removed from the post of the Governor of Mizoram?
Answer: Kamala Beniwal
16. Egypt has started the work of a new canal alongside which 145 year old artificial waterway?
Answer: Suez Canal
17. What is the brand name of the new airline launched as a joint venture between Tata Group and Singapore Airlines?
18. Who has been elected as the new Prime Minister of Iraq?
Answer: Haider Al Abadi
19. Andhra Pradesh has decided to make which city as its ad hoc capital?
20. Which Indian origin mathematician was awarded the Fields Medal 2014?
Answer: Manjul Bhargava
21. Which German footballer, who holds a record of 16 World Cup Goals, has recently announced his retirement?
Answer: Miroslav Klose
22. Name the three persons who received the outstanding parliamentarian awards recently?
Answer: Arun Jaitley (2010), Karan Singh (2011), Sharad Yadav (2012)
23. World Elephant Day was observed on:
Answer: August 12
24. Which Oscar winning actor and comedian passed away recently?
Answer: Robin Williams
25. Who has been appointed as the chairman of the Expenditure Management Commission?
Answer: Bimal Jalan
26. Which Indian state will host the 2015 Para Gliding World Cup Tour?
Answer: Himachal Pradesh
27. International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples was observed on:
Answer: August 9
28. International Youth Day was observed on:
Answer: August 12
29. Recep Tayyip Erdogan has won the first direct presidential election in which country?
30. Name the first spacecraft to orbit a comet?
31. Name the state in which marine researchers have recently found the first jellyfish lake in the country?
32. Daroji Eeramma, who passed away recently, was an exponent of which art form of storytelling?
Answer: Burra Katha
33. Name the new chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)?
Answer: K.V Chowdhary
34. Which disease has been declared by the WHO as a Global Health Emergency?
35. Who wrote Strictly Personal, Manmohan and Gursharan, a book on the former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his wife?
Answer: Daman Singh, she is the daughter of Manmohan Singh
36. Which Italian cyclist won the 101st edition of Tour de France?
Answer: Vincenzo Nibali
37. Name the experimental biopharmaceutical drug presently used to treat persons stricken with Ebola virus?
38. Name the yoga guru and Padma Vibhushan (2014) recipient who passed away recently?
Answer: B K S Iyengar
39. Which activist from Manipur who has been on hunger strike for 14 years, was freed following court order?
Answer: Irom Sharmila Chanu
40. Name the US journalist who was captured and killed by the ISIS?
Answer: James Foley
41. Which squash legend of Pakistan who won seven British Open titles from 1951 to 1958, passed away on 18, August?
Answer: Hashim Khan
42. World Humanitarian Day was observed on:
Answer: August 19
43. Which teenager from Netherlands is set to become the youngest Formula One driver in the world?
Answer: Max Verstappen, 16 years
44. Name the Indian journalist who wrote the book Assassination of Rajiv Gandhi: An Inside Job?
Answer: Faraz Ahmad
45. Who won the Pataudi Trophy test series?
46. Name the insurance scheme relaunched by the Government of India that will provide monthly pensions to citizens aged 60 years and above?
Answer: Varishta Pension Bhima Yojana
47. Who has been awarded with Asok Chakra, India’s highest peacetime gallantry award recently?
Answer: Major Mukund Vardarajan (Posthumous)
48. Name the new chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)?
Answer: Rajni Razdan
49. Name the combined military exercise held between India and Nepal in Pithorgarh, Uttarakhand recently?
Answer: Surya Kiran VII
50. What was the name of the world’s first smart phone, which turned 20 on August 16?
Answer: IBM Simon
51. Name the 6,800 tonne warship, constructed by the Mazagon Dockyards Limited, which was commissioned into the Indian Navy recently?
Answer: INS Kolkata
52. The Reserve Bank of India has proposed the creation of which post in the rank of a Deputy Governor in RBI?
Answer: Chief Operating Officer
53. Name the batsman and former captain of the Sri Lankan cricket team who retired from test cricket recently?
Answer: Mahela Jayawardhane
54. Who won the men’s singles title in the Cincinnati Open Tennis?
Answer: Roger Federer.
55. Name the eminent Iranian poet and women’s rights activist, also called the ‘Lioness of Iran’, who passed away recently?
Answer: Simin Behbahani
56. Which neighbouring country celebrated their 95th independence day on 18, August this year?
57. Which eminent Kannada writer and Jnanpith awardee passed away recently?
Answer: U.R Ananthamurthy
58. Name the new scheme launched by the Government of India to meet the irrigation needs of farmers?
Answer: Pradhan Mantri Krishi Seenchayi Yojana
59. Which Indian weightlifter clinched silver in the Men’s 77kg category in the Youth Olympics held in Nanjing, China?
Answer: Ragala Venkat Rahul
60. Name the new chairman of Indian Bank’s Association?
Answer: T.M Bhasin
61. Which eminent film maker received the Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award 2014?
Answer: Muzaffar Ali
62. Who is the new chairman of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC)?
Answer: K.V Thomas
63. The International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition was observed on:
Answer: August 23
64. The Government of India has withheld the release of which Punjabi film, based on the assassination of the former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi?
Answer: Kaum de Heere
65. Which company launched ‘Project INDRA’ (Innovative and New Development based on Responsible Analysis) aiming to produce the world’s low cost motorcycle?
66. Prayuth Chan-ocha is the new Prime Minister of which Asian country?
67. Which country has given Edward Snowden a three year residence permit?
68. Which international chess player and World No. 1 in FIDE Women’s Rankings announced her retirement?
Answer: Judit Polgar
69. Name the Governor of Maharashtra who resigned recently after he had been transferred to Mizoram?
Answer: K. Sankaranarayanan
70. Ice Bucket Challenge was started to promote awareness and encourage donations to the research of which disease?
Answer: Amyotropic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
71. Name the Governor of Kerala who resigned recently?
Answer: Sheila Dikshit
72. Name the anti-viral drug offered by Japan as treatment for Ebola?
73. Which Indian state recently recognized transgender as third gender?
74. Name the new chief of the Joint Intelligence Committee?
Answer: R.N Ravi
75. In which country was the world’s oldest metal object, a cone shaped copper awl (a tool for making holes), found recently?
76. Which Oscar winning British film director, known for the famous movie, Gandhi, passed away recently?
Answer: Richard Attenborough.
77. Name India’s first indigenously built stealth anti-submarine warship, commissioned recently?
Answer: INS Kamorta
78. India’s first coral garden to be set up in:
79. Who won US Open mixed doubles title 2014?
Answer: Sania Mirza and Bruno Soares
80. World Literacy Day observed across the world on:
Answer: September 8, 2014
81. Who was selected as the Executive Director of World Bank recently?
Answer: Subhash Chandra Garg, a 1983-batch IAS officer of Rajasthan cadre.
82. Who won the Midori Prize 2014?
Answer: Indian scientist Kamal Bawa
83. The Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) or Mangalyaan was successfully inserted into Mars’ orbit on:
Answer: 24th September 2014
84. Who received the Sarawasti Samman 2013 for his book “Dhool Paudho Par”?
Answer: Hindi author Mr. Govind Mishra
85. Who is sworn in as 42nd Chief Justice of India recently?
Answer: Justice H.L.Dattu
86. Who won wrestling gold in Asian Games recently?
Answer: Yogeshwar Dutt
87. Who won discus Gold medal in Asiad 2014?
Answer: Seema Punia
88. World Tourism Day observed across the world on:
Answer: September 27, 2014
89. World Heart Day was observed across the world on:
Answer: September 29, 2014
90. Who was re-elected as the Prime Minister of New Zealand recently?
Answer: John Key
91. India successfully test fired nuclear capable Agni-I Missile on:
Answer: September 11
92. Nasa’s Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) spacecraft successfully enters Mars orbit on:
Answer: September 22
93. Who is sworn in as the new Governor of Kerala?
Answer: P. Sathasivam
94. China’s which e-commerce outfit has become the world’s biggest IPO?
Answer: Alibaba Group