Current Affairs August 2014 Questions and Answers, Current Affairs August 2014 Questions and Answers in PDF file for preparing PSC, SSC, UPSC, Civil Services, Bank, RRB and all Other Competitive Examinations in India.
1. Which Indian shuttler clinched the women’s title at the Australian Badminton Open Super series?
Answer: Saina Nehwal
2. Name the newly elected president of the European Union?
3. Which Indian Sand artist won the People’s Choice Prize at the World Cup of Sand Sculpting 2014?
Answer: Sudarshan Pattnaik
4. Which Indian won the IBSF 6-Red World Snooker title?
Answer: Pankaj Advani
5. Name the rocket, carrying five foreign satellites, which was launched by ISRO on June 30?
Answer: PSLV C-23
6. The Union Government has decided not to permit visa-free entry to the nationals of which neighbouring country?
7. Who is appointed as the Chairman of the International Cricket Council?
Answer: N. Srinivasan
8. Name the two public sector enterprises which were granted Navratna status recently?
Answer: Engineers India Ltd (EIL) and National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited (NBCC).
9. Who is appointed as the chairman of Coal India Limited?
Answer: A.K Dubey
10. The United States named a mountain in Antarctica after which Indian American Scientist?
Answer: Akhouri Sinha
11. The Governor of West Bengal who resigned recently?
Answer: M. K Narayanan
12. Name the world’s largest international maritime warfare exercise, held from June 26 to August 1?
Answer: RIMPAC (Rim of the Pacific Exercise)
13. National Doctor’s Day was observed on:
Answer: July 1
14. Who won the Liberty Medal 2014?
Answer: Malala Yousaf Zai
15. Which National Museum in Hederabad is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year?
Answer: Salar Jung Museum
16. The Government of Rajasthan has declared …………. as their state animal?
17. Name the Indian shooter who is currently ranked No.1 in the 10 meter air pistol category?
Answer: Jitu Rai
18. The veteran of the historic Punnapra Vayalar uprising who passed away recently?
Answer: P.K Chandranandan
19. Which deadly virus has recently spread in West Africa, causing hundred’s of deaths?
20. Which actress of Harry Potter movie series was appointed as the Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women?
Answer: Emma Watson
21. Who won the Wimbledon Men’s Singles title 2014?
Answer: Novak Djokovic
22. The recently inaugurated Uri-II hydropower project across the Jhelum River is located in which Indian state?
Answer: Jammu and Kashmir
23. Who clinched the Women’s Singles title in the 2014 Wimbledon Tennis championship?
Answer: Petra Kvitova
24. Who headed the committee to review the methodology for measurement of poverty which submitted its report to the Union Government?
Answer: C Rangarajan
25. Who became the top goal scorer ever in FIFA World Cup?
Answer: Miroslav Klose (Germany)
26. Name the inaugural train that runs between the newly commissioned 25km Katra-Udhampur rail line in Jammu and Kashmir?
Answer: Shree Shakti Express
27. ‘Operation Protective Edge’ is the name of which country’s controversial military action launched on it’s neighbourhood?
28. Name the satellite recently launched by NASA for tracking carbon dioxide responsible for global warming?
Answer: Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 (OCO-2)
29. Where was the sixth BRICS summit held?
Answer: Fortaleza and Brasilia (Brazil)
30. Name the eminent Gandhian and environmentalist who received the Gandhi Peace Prize 2013?
Answer: Chandi Prasad Bhatt
31. Name India’s first indigenous antisubmarine warship?
32. Which Indian legendary actor’s ancestral home in Peshawar (Pakistan) has recently been declared as a national heritage?
Answer: Dileep Kumar
33. World Population Day was observed on:
Answer: July 11. The World Population Day 2014 Theme is ‘Investing in Young People’.
34. Which former Indian Cricketer has been elected as the member of Laureus World Sports Academy?
Answer: Rahul Dravid
35. Who received the Golden Ball award for the best player of the FIFA World Cup 2014?
Answer: Lionel Messi
36. Who became the top scorer in the FIFA World Cup 2014?
Answer: James Rodriguez (Colombia)
37. Which popular Malayalam filmmaker, who holds the record of making 141 films in his career, passed away recently?
Answer: J. Sasikumar, his original name was Nambiathusseril Varkey John. He was honoured with the coveted J C Daniel Award in 2012.
38. Name the newly appointed chairman of the Indian Oil Corporation?
Answer: B Asok
39. India has recently asked which UN Group to vacate the Government bungalow in Delhi?
Answer: United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP)
40. The newly created BRICS new Development Bank, will have its headquarters in which city?
41. Who won the recently held Indonesian presidential election?
Answer: Joko Widodo
42. Which tennis player has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Telangana?
Answer: Sania Mirza
43. Which eminent Carnatic musician and mridangam exponent got this year’s Sangita Kalanidi Award?
Answer: T.V Gopalakrishnan
44. Who was sworn in as the Governor of Uttar Pradesh?
Answer: Ram Naik
45. Where was the Business 20 (B20) Summit 2014 held?
46. Which country will host BRICS summit 2015?
47. The Income Tax Exemption Limit was increased to Rs. ………..Lakh?
Answer: Rs. 2.5 Lakh. Earlier it was Rs. 2 Lakh
48. The Union Government has announced the setting up of IITs in which states?
Answer: Jammu and Kashmir, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala.
49. What is the name of the project proposed by the Union Government, to develop an inland waterway between Allahabad and Haldia?
Answer: Jal Marg Vikas
50. Who is appointed as Chairman of Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR)?
Answer: Y. Sudharshan Rao
51. The world’s largest indoor stadium has been opened in which country?
52. Nelson Mandela International Day was observed on ……………..?
Answer: July 18
53. Who won a bronze medal in the IAAF World Junior Athletics Championship held in Eugene, United States?
Answer: Navjeet Kaur Dhillon
54. Who lead England in the test cricket series with India recently?
Answer: Alistair Cook
55. Argentina was fined by FIFA for putting up a banner, in a friendly match in the World Cup, laying claim to which island?
56. India observed Kargil Vijay Diwas on:
Answer: July 26
57. Name the online platform launched by the Government of India to engage citizens in the task of good governance?
Answer: MyGov, and the Website address is www.mygov.nic.in
58. Name the 17 year old girl from Canada who won the 5 of the Six Gold medals in Rhythmic Gymnastics in the 20th Commonwealth Games held in Glasgow?
Answer: Patricia Bezzoubenko
59. International Tiger Day was observed on:
Answer: July 29
60. Which was the Mascot of the 2014 Commonwealth Games?
61. Which Bollywood actor has been appointed as Maharashtra’s Horticulture Ambassador?
Answer: Amitabh Bachchan
62. Name the mission launched by the Government of India to conserve and develop indigenous breeds of cows in a focused and scientific manner?
Answer: Rashtriya Gokul Mission
63. World Hepatitis Day was observed on:
Answer: July 28
64. Name the Typhoon that struck Taiwan on July 2014?
Answer: Typhoon Matmo
65. Which African nation witnessed a massive trade union strike in July in the steel and engineering sector?
Answer: South Africa
66. Which book, authored by the British Indian writer Neel Mukherjee has been in the long list for the Man Booker Prize 2014?
Answer: The Lives of Others
67. Who was sworn in as the Governor of Haryana?
Answer: Kaptan Singh Solanki
68. Which Indian assumed charge as the Member of the United Nations Board of Auditors?
Answer: Shashi Kant Sharma
69. The Ministry of Women and Child Development announced the launching of a campaign named ………… for saving the girl child and enabling her education?
Answer: Beti Bachao Kalyan Yojana
70. Arseniy Yatsenyuk, who resigned recently from his post, was the Prime Minister of which country?
71. Which company has become the first Indian firm to cross Rs.5 lakh crore in market capitalization?
Answer: Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
72. Name the scheme recently launched by the Central Government for the holistic development of the tribals?
Answer: Van Bandhu Kalyan Yojana
73. Name the Olympic medalist shooter who led the Indian continent in the parade of nations in the inaugural ceremony of the 2014 Commonwealth Games?
Answer: Vijay Kumar
74. The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for increasing the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the Insurance sector to how much percent?
Answer: 49 percent
75. Which was the only country to vote against the United Nation’s Human Rights resolution to begin an investigation of Israel’s offensive in Gaza?
Answer: United States
76. Faud Masum has been elected as the President of which country?
77. Recently Government of India granted Navratna status to …………..?
Answer: Container Corporation of India Ltd. (CONCOR)
78. Who has been chosen for Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award?
Answer: Film director Muzaffar Ali
79. The Union Cabinet cleared a proposal to enhance the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) limit in defence sector to ……………… from the current 26%?
80. Who penned the book ‘Strictly Personal, Manmohan and Gursharan’ that released recently?
Answer: Daman Singh
81. Which Indian state has been selected as the venue to host Paragliding World Cup 2015?
Answer: Himachal Pradesh, This will be the first para-gliding World Cup to be hosted in India.
82. Who became the first woman judge from Tamil Nadu to be elevated to the Supreme Court?
Answer: Justice R Banumathi
83. The Andhra Pradesh government has decided to make …………… as an ad hoc capital of the state?
84. Who is assumed charge as new chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)?
Answer: Rajni Razdan
85. Which is India’s first domestically built stealth warship commissioned into Navy recently?
Answer: INS Kamorta
86. President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the first Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST) of the country in:
Answer: Shibpur located in the city of Howrah, West Bengal.
87. Who has been named as the new Prime Minister of Thailand?
Answer: Prayuth Chan-ocha
88. Which Bollywood actor has become the first Indian to become the brand ambassador of the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL)?
Answer: Shah Rukh Khan
89. Who has been named as the new Prime Minister of Turkey?
Answer: Ahmet Davutoglu
90. Who was sworn in as the 12th President of Turkey?
Answer: Recep Tayyip Erdogan
91. India celebrates National Sports Day on:
Answer: August 29
More Current Affairs August 2014 Notes
- Glasgow Commonwealth Games: With Kashyap’s historic gold India finishes 5th.
Parupalli Kashyap created history as he clinched Gold in themen’s singles badminton at 20th Commonwealth Games being held in Glasgow, Scotland. With his gold medal, the country earned a fifth-spot finish with 64 medals, including 15 gold. He created history by becoming the first Indian male shuttler in 32 years to win a gold in the Commonwealth Games. Kashyap put up brilliant show to register triumph over Derek Wong of Singapore in the final showdown. The shuttler from Hyderabad thus joined badminton legend Prakash Padukone and the late Syed Modi, who had won the title in the past. While Padukone had won the men’s singles gold medal at the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Canada, Modi bagged it four years later.
The XXI Commonwealth Games will be held in Gold Coast City, Queensland, Australia between 4 to 15 April 2018.
- The International Mathematical Union (IMU) awarded mathematicians of Indian-and Iranian-origin with the 2014 Fields Medal, also considered as the “Nobel Prize of Mathematics“.
Persons of India Origin (PIOs) Manjul Bhargava bagged the Fields Medal 2014 while Subhash Khot won the Rolf Nevanlinna Prize conferred by the IMU at International Congress of Mathematicians 2014 held in Seoul, South Korea.
- India’s women archers team led by Deepika Kumari won the recurve team gold in the Archery World Cup Stage IV in Wroclaw, Poland.
- Former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Bimal Jalan has been appointed as head of the Expenditure Management Commission.
- PM Narendra Modi started a new financial scheme named ‘Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana’ to help the poor open bank accounts which will come bundled with a debit card and life insurance cover.