Model Questions and Answers for preparing UPSC’s Combined Defence Services [CDS] Examination on October 26, 2014.
1. Indian Navy commissioned its first advanced Light Helicopter Squadron at Kochi in November 2013. What is the name of the Helicopter?
2. Corporation tax in India is levied on income of a company. Which one of the following does not include Corporation tax?
(a) Profit from Business
(b) Capital gain
(c) Interest on securities
(d) Sale proceed of assets
Answer: (d) Sale proceed of assets
3. On November 8, 2013 many people died in Philippines after a super typhoon ravaged the country. What was the name of the typhoon?
4. The University of Nalanda was set up by which Gupta ruler?
Answer: Kumaragupta I
5. Carefully read the following passage and identify the person referred to in that: Her best known works are ‘The Golden Notebook’, ‘Memories of a Survivor’ and ‘The Summer before the Dark’, she was the oldest recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature?
Answer: Doris Lessing
6. Heena Sidhu, who recently won a World Cup Gold medal for India, is associated with?
7. The only inscribed stone portrait of Emperor Ashoka has been found at:
8. Which one of the following was a temple built by the Chola Kings?
(a) Brihadiswara Temple, Tanjavur
(b) Meenakshi Temple, Madurai
(c) Srirangam Temple, Thiruchirappalli
(d) Durga Temple, Aihole
Answer: (a) Brihadiswara Temple, Tanjavur
9. Who among the following was not associated with the activities of Theosophical Society?
(a) Madame H.P Blavatsky
(b) Mr. A.O Hume
(c) Col H.S Olcott
(d) Mrs. Annie Basant
Answer: b) Mr. A.O Hume
10. The Society of Jesus, whose followers were called Jesuits, was set up by?
Answer: Ignatius Loyola
11. Internal Security Academy is located at:
Answer: Mount Abu
12. Addition of ethylene dibromide to petrol:
(a) Increases the octane number of fuel
(b) Helps elimination lead oxide
(c) Remove the sulphur compound in petrol
(d) Serves as a substitute of tetra-ethyl lead
Answer: (c) Remove the sulphur compound in petrol
13. Which of the following statements regarding the duration of day and night is correct?
(a) Difference is least near the Equator and progressively increases away from it.
(b) Difference is maximum at the Equator and progressively decreases away from it.
(c) Difference is least at the tropics and progressively increases towards the Equator and Poles.
(d) Difference is maximum at the Tropics and progressively decreases towards the Equator and Poles.
Answer: (a) Difference is least near the Equator and progressively increases away from it.
14. The position, relative size and nature of the image formed by a concave lens for an object placed at infinity are respectively?
(a) At focus, diminished and virtual
(b) At focus, diminished and real
(c) Between focus and optical centre, diminished and virtual
(d) Between focus and optical centre, magnified and real
Answer: (b) At focus, diminished and real.
15. People suffering from ‘Anorexia nervosa’?
(a) Develop paralysis
(b) Show poor reflex
(c) Cannot speak properly
(d) Eat very little and fear gaining wait
Answer: (d) Eat very little and fear gaining wait.
16. Date of manufacture of food items fried in oil should be checked before buying because oils become rancid due to:
17. No matter how far you stand from a mirror, your image appears erect. The mirror is likely to be:
Answer: Either plane or convex
18. Veliconda group of low hills is a structural part of:
Answer: Eastern Ghats
19. Rachel Carson’s famous book ‘Silent Spring’ refers to:
Answer: The death of songbirds due to eating insects poisoned with pesticides.
20. Which method of water purification does not kill microorganism?
Answer: (b) Filtration.