Current Affairs May 2014 Questions and Answers for preparing PSC, SSC, UPSC, Civil Services, Bank, RRB and all Other Competitive Examinations.
1. Who has been appointed as the interim President of the BCCI?
Answer: Sunil Gavaskar
2. Former Norwegian Prime Minister, Jens Stoltenberg has been named new Secretary General of which international Organisation?
Answer: North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO)
3. Which team won the Deodhar Trophy cricket tournament 2014?
Answer: West Zone
4. Manuel Valls has been appointed as the next Prime Minister of which country?
5. The World Health Organisation has recently declared that India and 10 other Asian countries are free of which disease?
6. Which e-mail service developed by Paul Buchheit celebrated its tenth anniversary on April 1, 2014?
7. Who won this year’s Candidates Chess Championship?
Answer: Viswanathan Anand
8. Andrej Kiska has won the recently held Presidential election in which central European country?
9. World Autism Awareness Day was observed on ……………
Answer: April 2
10. D.K Pathak was appointed as the new Director General of ……………
Answer: Border Security Force (BSF)
11. The Reserve Bank of India has given ‘In Principle’ banking licenses to …………… and ………….
Answer: Infrastructure Development Finance Company (IDFC) and Bandhan Financial Services Ltd.
12. Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca was sworn in as the President of which Southern European country located in the Mediterranean Sea?
13. The Reserve Bank of India has adopted ………… as the key measure of calculating inflation
Answer: Consumer Price Index (CPI), The RBI had earlier given more weightage to Wholesale Price Index as the key measure of inflation for all policy matters.
14. Which Indian shooter has clinched the World No.1 spot in the 10 meters air pistol event?
Answer: Heena Sidhu
15. India’s second navigational satellite recently launched from Sriharikota
16. The hi-tech satellite launched by Europe to monitor Earth for climate change and environmental damage and help disaster relief operations.
17. Which two U.S newspapers shared the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service this year, for their articles on the National Security Agency’s secret surveillance activities based on the leaks of Edward Snowden?
Answer: The Washington Post and The Guardian
18. Which Indian born poet won the 2014 Pulitzer Prize in the poetry category?
Answer: Vijay Seshadri. He got the award for the collection of poems named 3 Sections.
19. The Supreme Court of India has recently recognized the third gender status for ……….
20. Which Indian businessman was honoured by ‘Knight Grand Cross’, one of UK’s highest civilian awards?
Answer: Ratan Tata
21. Who was appointed as the Chairman of NASSCOM (National Association of Software and Services Companies) for 2014-15?
Answer: R. Chandrasekaran.
22. Who got Millennium Technology Prize 2014?
Answer: Professor Stuart Parkin
23. The book Crusader or Conspirator? Coalgate and Other Truths is written by …………….
Answer: P.C Parekh
24. World Haemophilia Day was observed on …………….
Answer: April 17
25. AbdelAziz Bouteflika secured a fourth term as the President of which African country?
26. Who won Monte Carlo Masters Tennis title defeating Roger Federer?
Answer: Stanislas Wawrinka
27. International Day for Monuments and Sites was observed on …………..
Answer: April 18
28. Who was appointed as the new Chief of Indian Navy?
Answer: Admiral Robin K Dhowan
29. Which communications satellite of India launched in 2003, has recently gone out of service?
Answer: INSAT 3E
30. The upcoming book of which former US secretary of State is titled Hard Choices?
Answer: Hillary Rodham Clinton
31. India’s first double decker flyover was inaugurated in which city?
32. Which Indian won the 2014 Thailand Tour title of Asian Bowling Federation?
Answer: Shaik Abdul Hameed
33. International Mother Earth Day was observed on:
Answer: April 22
34. Which American company bought Titan Aerospace, a maker of high altitude solar powered drones, to bring internet access to remote parts?
35. Who has been appointed as India’s first Ambassador to ASEAN?
Answer: Suresh K Reddy
36. What is the name of the text to speech (TTS) software application jointly developed by IIT-Madras, IIT-Kharagpur, C-DAC Thiruvananthapuram and C-DAC Mumbai for the benefit of farmers?
Answer: Sandesh Pathak
37. English Language Day was observed on ……………?
Answer: April 23
38. Which Indian environmentalist is among the six people around the world to be awarded the Goldman Environmental Prize, often called ‘The Green Nobel’?
Answer: Ramesh Agrawal
39. Gjorge Ivanov has been re-elected president of which European country?
40. Which famous artist, orator and cultural activist who was the former chairman of the Kerala Lalita Kala Academy passed away recently?
Answer: M V Devan
41. Who got the award for the best director in the recently declared Kerala State Film Awards?
Answer: Shyama Prasad (Film-Artist)
42. Who has been elected as the new Prime Minister of Libya?
Answer: Ahmed Maiteeq
43. India successfully tested the first indigenous air-to-air Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile named …………..
44. Which is India’s own indigenous card payment gateway that launched recently?
45. Who is appointed as the next Chief of the Indian Army?
Answer: Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag
46. Who is sworn in as the new Chief Minister of Bihar?
Answer: Jitan Ram Manjhi
47. Who is sworn in as the first woman Chief Minister of Gujarat?
Answer: Anandiben Patel
48. Who is sworn in as the new Chief Minister of Sikkim for fifth consecutive term?
Answer: Pawan Chamling
49. Who is sworn in as the Chief Minister of Odisha for the fourth term in a row?
Answer: Naveen Patnaik
50. Who has been appointed as vice president and auditor general of World Bank (WB)?
Answer: Hiroshi Naka
51. Anti Terrorism Day observed throughout the nation on:
Answer: May 21
52. Who is appointed as the new Chief Information Commissioner (CIC)?
Answer: Rajiv Mathur
53. Which country won women’s Asian Football Cup (AFC) 2014?
54. Who is chosen as Goodwill Ambassador of the 35th National Games?
Answer: Sachin Tendulkar, Kerala Government has announced cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar as the Goodwill Ambassador for the 35th edition of National Games, slated to be held across seven cities in Kerala early in 2015.
55. Who is appointment as Principal Secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi?
Answer: Nripendra Misra
56. Who is sworn in as the Chief Minister of Nagaland, following the resignation of Neiphio Rio, who has been elected to Lok Sabha?
Answer: T.R. Zeliang
57. Who became the youngest female mountaineer to scale the Mount Everest?
Answer: Malavath Purna (13) from Andhra Pradesh.
58. Who has become the first woman External Affairs Minister of India?
Answer: Sushma Swaraj
59. India’s Multi Barrel Rocket Launcher (MBRL) named ……………… capable of decimating hostile targets at 40kms range with rapid salvos, successfully test fired recently.
Answer: Pinaka rockets
60. Who is appointed as the new Attorney General of India (AGI)?
Answer: Mukul Rohatgi
61. Who is appointed as the new National Security Advisor of India?
Answer: Ajit Doval
62. Who becomes the President of Lithuania for second consecutive term?
Answer: Dalia Grybauskaite
63. Who is sworn in as the new President of the southern African country Malawi?
Answer: Peter Mutharika