General Knowledge (gk) Questions and answers for all PSC Examinations.
1. The Chrysanthemum Throne is the throne of the Emperor of .........?
2. Which spiritual leader’s throne is the Lion Throne?
Answer: Dalai Lama
3. Which world famous throne was decorated by the Kuh-i-Nur diamond?
Answer: Takht-e Tavus (The Peacock Throne)
4. Who is the longest served Pope of the Roman Catholics?
Answer: Pius IX
5. Which religion’s holiest day of the year is known as ‘Yom Kippur’?
6. Which is the oldest poem in the English language?
Answer: Ans. Beowulf
7. Which country owns the maximum number of nuclear war heads?
8. The highest military honour in the United Kingdom is known as .........?
Answer: Victoria Cross
9. Which country issued the largest coin in the world?
10. The first cheque was issued on 22 April 1659 in .........?
11. Who was the first to invent the credit cards?
Answer: Frank X McNamara (USA)
12. Which bank was the operators of the world’s first ATM, began operation on 27 June 1967 at London?
Answer: Barclays Bank
13. Which is the only gem of the world made of a single element?
14. Name the volcanic rock best known for sometimes containing diamonds?
15. Which element is used to coat the photocopying drum of Xerox machine?
16. Which acid is present in coals?
Answer: Phosphoric Acid
17. Who translated Edwin Arnold’s ‘Light of Asia’ into Malayalam?
Answer: Nalappad Narayana Menon
18. Which Indian River’s name in Sanskrit literally means ‘The Giver of Pleasure’?
19. Which optical filter glass allows ultraviolet & infrared light to pass through while blocking most visible light?
Answer: Wood’s Glass
20. Which is the world’s largest land carnivore?
Answer: Polar Bear
21. Which species of hibiscus is extensively used in paper making?
22. Which is the easternmost country of the world?
23. Who is the author of ‘Himalayan Blunder’?
Answer: Brig. J P Dalvi
24. Name the Pakistani economist who was behind the preparation of the first Human Development Report Published by UNDP?
25. Who did the first scientific attempt to calculate the national income of India in 1931-32?
Answer: Dr. VK Rao