General Science questions and answers for preparing PSC | UPSC | SSC | Civil Services | Railway Recruitment | Bank | Competitive Examinations.
1. The individual polymer unit of cotton is:
2. The fibre that is obtained by chemical treatment of wood pulp is:
Ans. Rayon or artificial silk
3. Which synthetic fibre used coal, water and air as its raw materials?
4. Parachutes and ropes for rock climbing are made out of the artificial fibre called ..........
5. What is polycot?
Ans. Mixture of polyester and cotton
6. Which polymer form is used widely for making bottles, utensils and films?
Ans. PET (polyethylene Terephthalate)
7. Plastics which get deformed easily on heating and can be bent are known as ..........
8. Once moulded, some plastics cannot be softened by heating. Such plastics are termed as ..........
Ans. Thermosetting plastics
9. Bakelite and Melamine are examples of .......... plastic.
Ans. Thermosetting plastic
10. The thermosetting plastic used for making floor tiles is ..........
11. Which is the plastic used for making nonstick coating on cookware?
12. Uniforms of fireman have been coated with a plastic so as to make them flame resistant. Which is the plastic form?
13. What is the “4R” principle associated with the sustainable use of plastics?
Ans. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Remove
14. The property of metals by which they can be beaten into thin sheets are called ..........
15. What is ductility?
Ans. Ability of metals to be drawn into wires
16. Which are the common metals those can be cut into pieces with a knife?
Ans. Sodium and Potassium
17. Why is the metal Sodium stored in kerosene?
Ans. Because it reacts vigorously with oxygen and water
18. Which non-metal, that catches fire if exposed to air, is kept under water?
19. Which element is the main constituent of coal?
20. The slow process of conversion of dead vegetation into coal is called ..........