Solved questions of Assistant Port Conservator in Department of Port
1. Vegetarian is related to meat as …….... is related to liquor.
2. A person who sacrifices his life for a cause is called a .........
3. A person who is facing trial before a criminal court is called .........
(a) A culprit
(b) An accomplice
(c) An accused
(d) A prisoner
Ans. An accused
4. Find the odd one out:
5. Which of the following words cannot be formed from the letters used in the word EXAMINATION?
6. In a certain code language “lim suk ta” means ‘boys are clever’, “din lim pu” means “girls are tall” and “pu ne ta” means “boys and girls”. Which word in that language means “and”?
7. Which of the following series obeys the rule, “Number of letters skipped in between adjacent letter is two”?
8. Which of the following series starts with a vowel and then has consonants appearing alternately with vowels?
9. Coconut : Shell : : Letter : ...........?
10. If a “rectangle” is called a “circle”; a “circle” is called a “point”; a “point” is called a “triangle”; a “triangle” is called a “square”; then, a “wheel” is to be called
11. Which of the following has the maximum concentration of alcohol?
12. A mixture of water, and alcohol can be separated by .........
13. pH of water is ............
14. Pencil is made from ............
15. Which of the following is known as “Blue Planet”?
16. Which part of the brain is mainly affected by alcohol?
17. Light year is a unit of ............
(b) Intensity of light
18. The purest form of water is obtained from ............
(b) Heavy rains
Ans. Heavy rains
19. Iodised salt is used to prevent which of the following diseases?
20. Which of the following elements is present in all acids?
21. Who among the following held the office of the Chief Minister of Kerala for the longest total period?
(a) K. Karunakaran
(c) E.K. Nayanar
(d) A.K. Antony
Ans. E.K. Nayanar
22. What is the total strength of the Kerala State Legislative Assembly?
23. The venue of the Nehru Trophy Boat Race is ............
(a) Ashtamudi Lake
(b) Punnamada Lake
(c) Sasthamkotta Lake
(d) River Pamba
Ans. Punnamada Lake
24. Who won the Ezhuthachan Award of 2003?
(a) T. Padmanabhan
(b) M. Mukundan
(d) M.T. Vasudevan Nair
Ans. T. Padmanabhan
25. How many rivers of Kerala flows eastward?
26. In which of the following districts is the Eravikulam National Park situated?
27. The story of the Malayalam film “Kaliyattam” is based on Shakespear’s
(c) King Lear
28. The first woman judge of the Kerala High Court:
(a) Anna Chandy
(c) K.K. Usha
(d) Fathima Beevi
Ans. Anna Chandy
29. How many Municipal Corporations are there in Kerala?
30. The first Speaker of the Kerala Legislative Assembly:
(a) C.H. Mohammed Koya
(b) R. Sankaranarayanan Thampi
(c) Varkala Radhakrishnan
(d) Vakkom Purushothaman
Ans. R. Sankaranarayanan Thampi
31. Which of the following is India’s first climate Satellite?
(a) INSAT 1-D
32. The height of Mount Everest is ............ metres.
33. Where was the first atom bomb dropped by America?
34. Change of seasons on the earth occurs due to ............
(a) The moon revolving round the earth.
(b) The melting of polar ice.
(c) The comets falling on the earth.
(d) The earth revolving round the sun.
Ans. The earth revolving round the sun
35. The first fully literate district in Kerala is ............
36. Which district of Kerala is most abundant in spices?
37. The minimum age required by a person to contest an election to the Lok Sabha:
38. The Lok Sabha constituted after the General Elections, 2004 is the ............
39. The Fundamental Rights of an Indian citizen are enumerated in the ............ chapter of the constitution,
40. The river Kaveri originates from which State?
(b) Tamil Nadu
(d) Andhra Pradesh
41. The Akshardham Temple is situated in the State of ............
(c) Madhya Pradesh
42. Which of the following species is being protected at the Kaziranga National Park?
(a) Indian Rhinoceros
(b) The Great Indian Bustard
Ans. Indian Rhinoceros
43. Which one of the following sports persons has not received the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award?
(a) Geeth Sethi
(b) Mahesh Bhupathi
(c) Viswanathan Anand
(d) Anjali Bhagawath
Ans. Mahesh Bhupathi
44. The World Environment Day is on
(a) 7th April
(b) 24th October
(c) 11th September
(d) 5th June
Ans. 5th June
45. The capital of Jharkhand:
(d) Dehra Dun
46. The World Trade Center in New York was destroyed by terrorists on ............
(a) 9th November, 2002
(b) 11th September, 2001
(c) 11th October, 2001
(d) ITth September, 2000
Ans. 11th September, 2001
47. Which of the following film makers is popularly known as “Master of Suspense”?
(a) Alfred Hitchkock
(b) Steven Spielberg
(c) Clint Eastwood
(d) Manoj Night Shyamalan
Ans. Alfred Hitchkock
48. Who among the following is the first space tourist?
(a) Neil Armstrong
(b) Yuri Gagarin
(c) Michael Collins
(d) Dennis Tito
Ans. Dennis Tito
49. The Chairman of the Central Planning Commission is ............
(a) The Prime Minister
(b) The Finance Minister
(c) The Home Minster
(d) The President of India
Ans. The Prime Minister
50. Who wrote the novel, “Kesavante Vilapangal”?
(a) O.V. Vijayan
(b) M. Mukundan
Ans. M. Mukundan
51. The French Open Tennis Woman Champion of the year 2004:
(a) Serena Williams
(b) Elena Dementiova
(c) Anastasia Myskina
(d) Lindsay Davenport
Ans. Anastasia Myskina
52. The only Indian Cricketer to score a triple century in Test Cricket:
(c) Ravi Sasthri
(d) Virender Sehwag
Ans. Virender Sehwag
53. The first person belonging to the Leftist parties to be elected as Speaker of the Lok Sabha?
(a) Rabi Ray
(b) Somnath Chatterjee
(c) Gurudas Das Gupta
(d) Indrajit Gupta
Ans. Somnath Chatterjee
54. Wall Street is situated in ..............
(c) New York
Ans. New York
55. The disputed territory which China has recognised as Indian territory
56. The creator of fictional school boy wizard “Harry Potter”
(a) Arthur Conan Doyle
(b) R. L. Stevenson
(c) Joseph Conrad
(d) J. K. Rowling
Ans. J. K. Rowling
57. Diethyl Dicarbamazine Citrate (DEC) is a drug for treatment / prevention of ..............
58. The controversial Coca Cola plant in Kerala is situated in .............. district.
59. ‘‘Make running water walk’’ is a slogan for spreading the message of
(a) Need for food control
(b) Conservation of rain water
(c) Need for reducing use of pipe water
(d) Need for constructing big dams
Ans. Need for food control
60. The name of India’s first indigenously made civilian aircraft is:
61. Huien Tsang visited India during the reign of ..............
(b) Chandragupta Maurya
62. The muslim woman ruler who ruled Delhi in the 13th century is ..............
(c) Razia Sultana
Ans. Razia Sultana
63. Who among the British rulers is considered the Father of Local Self Government in India?
(a) Lord Rippon
(b) Lord Wellesley
(c) William Bentick
(d) Lord Curzon
Ans. Lord Rippon
64. Who said: ‘Swaraj is my birth right and I shall have it?
(a) Dadabhai Naoroji
(b) Balagangadhar Tilak
(c) Gopalakrishna Gokhale
(d) Subhash Chandra Bose
Ans. Balagangadhar Tilak
65. Who wrote the book “The Wings of Fire’’
(a) P. V. Narasimha Rao
(b) Arundhathi Roy
(c) Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
(d) Salman Rushdie
Ans. Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
66. The first Indian State to introduce Panchayati Raj System?
67. The banks of the Hoogli are famous for ..............
68. The main centre of the Salt Satyagraha led in Kerala by Sri K. Kelappan was ..............
69. Who among the following contested the Parliamentary Elections 2004?
(a) Pandit Ravi Shankar
(b) Pandit Jasraj
(c) Bhupen Hazarika
(d) Hari Prasad Chaurasia
Ans. Bhupen Hazarika
70. Who is the first Indian woman to win a medal in the World Athletic Meet?
(a) P. T. Usha
(b) K. M. Beenamol
(c) Jyothirmayi Sikdar
(d) Anju Bobby George
Ans. Anju Bobby George
71. The Central Drug Research Institute of India is located at ..............
72. India is a leading producer of ..............
73. A ‘Red Triangle’ is the symbol of
(a) Red Revolution
(c) Green Revolution
(d) Family Planning
Ans. Family Planning
74. The headquarters of Southern Railway is in ..............
75. Asoka belonged to .............. dynasty
76. Which of the following was the capital of India in the year of 1910?
77. Who is the first woman writer to receive Jnanpith award?
(a) Amritha Preetham
(b) Indira Goswami
(c) Mahadevi Varma
(d) Asha Purana Devi
Ans. Asha Purana Devi
78. The smallest Union Territory in India is ..............
(d) Damn and Diu
79. Mahatma Gandhi was born in the year ..............
80. The famous Sun Temple is situated in the state of ..............
81. The birthday of Dr. S. Radhakrishnan is celebrated as ..............
(a) Martyr’s Day
(b) Children’s Day
(c) Teacher’s Day
(d) Farmer’s Day
Ans. Teacher’s Day
82. Which of the following is not a traditional system of medicine?
83. Who is the first musician to receive BharatRatna?
(a) Pandit Ravi Sankar
(b) M. S. Subhalakshmi
(c) Dr. Balamurali krishna
(d) Ustad Bismillah Khan
Ans. M. S. Subhalakshmi
84. The Malayalee who was the President of the Indian National Congress
(a) Sir C. Sankaran Nair
(b) V. K. Krishna Menon
(c) Dr. John Mathai
Ans. Sir C. Sankaran Nair
85. Kancheepuram was the capital city of ..............
86. Bengal was divided during the reign of ...............
(a) Lord Hardinge
(b) Lord Curzon
(d) Lord Canning
Ans. Lord Curzon
87. One-third of the members of the Rajya Sabha retires in every .............. years
88. Who is the author of ‘Natya Sasthra’?
89. Charminar is situated in ..............
90. The decimal system of numbers originated in ...............
91. Forty percent of total marks is required to pass an examination. A candidate who gets 100 marks, fails by 20 marks. If so, the total marks in the examination is ..............
92. Rema, Sudha and Kamala had to share Rs.14000 rupees between them, what is the share of Rema if the three are to share the money in the ratio 2:1:4?
93. Rajesh is 5 years older than Suresh. Raju is 3 years older than Suresh. If the age of Suresh is half of that of Rajesh, what is the age of Raju?
94. In an examination, the average marks scored by 50 students of the class was found to be 70 out of 100. In the class, there were equal number of boys and girls. The average marks scored by boys was found to be 64. Then what is the average percent of marks scored by girls?
95. Joseph bought a TV set for Rs. 12,000 and later sold it suffering a loss of 15% If so, at what price had he sold the TV set?
96. Fill in the blanks with a suitable number?
1,2, 6,24, ........., .720, 5040
97. 16 men or 24 women can do a piece of work in 20 days. What is the number of days needed to complete the job if 20 men and 80 women are employed to do the same work?
98. Which of the following numbers is divisible by 3?
99. The sum of the 8 interior angles is ..............
100. Ramu borrowed Rs. 50,000 from Raju at an annual rate of 8% simple interest. How much should Ramu repay to Raju at the end of two years?