Computer Networks Question paper2009
IV Semester Bsc.(Computer Science) Degree Examination, May 2009
BSC 401: COMPUTER NETWORKS
PART - A
Answer any ten questions. Each question carries 3 marks.
1. What is channel capacity? How is it related to bandwidth?
2. What is meant by simplex, half duplex, full duplex communication system?
3. What is bandwidth compression?
4. What are the main functions of transport layer?
5. Differentiate between connection oriented service and connectionless service?
6. How is routing different from bridging?
7. What are the characteristics of "Flooding", a routing technique used in packet
8. Briefly explain the ethernet frame features?
9. Explain the function of protocols in Computer Networks?
10. Both DNS and the IP address identify a host computer. Are both identifications
necessary? Explain your answer?
11. What are the advantages of UDP over TCP?
12. Write short notes on IPV6 or datagram?
PART - B
Answer any five questions. Each question carries 6 marks.
1. Describe the operation of satellite/ radio access control methods and their underlined
2.Discuss the features of Data Link Layer?
3. Write short notes on Balanced vs Unbalanced transmission?
4. Compare the following transmission media with examples?
a) Twisted pair and Coaxial cable
b) Coaxial Cable and Optical Fiber
5. Describe the difference between synchronous and asynchronous transmission?
6. Explain in brief the network layer of the OSI reference model?
7. Discuss the implications of a single cable fault in Mesh, Star, Bus and Ring network
8. What are the assumptions made by IP about individual networks in order to
achieve interconnection across networks?
PART - C
Answer any one question. It carries 15 marks.
1. Describe the principle of packet collision detection and avoidance protocols?
2. Explain the various addressing models used in internet?