Detailed syllabus of Kerala PSC Mechanic Examination with category no. 287/2012 on August 2013 published by Kerala public service commission.
Post Name: Mechanic.
Category Number: 287/2012.
Department: Kerala Agro Machinery Corporation Ltd.
Examination Date: 30/08/2013 Friday 08.00AM to 09.15 AM.
An Objective Type Test (OMR Valuation) based on the qualification prescribed for the post.
Part I:- Questions based on NTC in the trade of Motor Mechanic/Tractor Mechanic/Mechanic/Agriculture Machinery.
Part II:- Questions based on NTC in the trade of Fitter.
Part III:- Workshop Calculation & Science.
Part IV:- Facts about India & Kerala.
MOTOR MECHANIC / TRACTOR MECHANIC / MECHANIC / AGRICULTURAL MACHINERY
1. Shock Absorbers:- Function, Types, Hydraulic Shock Absorbers.
2. Steering Geometry:- Checking and adjusting wheel alignment, camber angle, caster angle, kingpin inclination, toe-in, toe-out.
3. Brake System:- Function, Types of Brake, Power Brake, Hydraulic Brake, Air Brake.
4. Clutch:- Function, Types of Clutch, Cone Clutch, Hydraulic Operated Clutch, Multi Plate Clutch.
5. Fluid Fly Wheel:- Introduction. Main parts of fluid fly wheel, Torque convertor.
6. Gear Box:- Resistance on Moving Vehicle, Gear Ratio, Mechanic Advantage using gear, Types of Gears.
7. Engine:- Spark Ignition Engine, 4Stroke and 2Stroke Engine.
8. Compression Ignition Engine, 4Stroke and 2Stroke Engine.
9. Vankel Engine and Turbine.
10. Engine Components:- Piston, Rings, Crank Shaft, Fly wheel, Bearing, Valve, Timing Gears.
11. Cooling System:- Necessity of Cooling System, Air cooling, Water cooling.
12. Lubricating System: Necessity of Lubricating System, Forced Lubricating System, Oil Pump, Oil Cooler, Oils, Oil relief Valve, Oil Pressure Gauge.
13. Fuel Supply System: Gravity Feed System, Force Feed System, Carburettor, Fuel Injection Pump, Injector, Governor (Speed), Feed Pump.
(1) Marking and Measuring Tools: Surface Plate – Scriber – Caliper – Trammel – Punches – Surface Gauge – V block – protractor - combination set ( including safety rules).
(2) Hand Tools: Hammer – Vices – Screwdrivers – spanners – pliers – socket spanners
(3) Measuring Tools : Measurement – System of Units – STEEL RULE – Trisquare – Micrometer – Vernier caliper – Dial caliper – Vernier Bevel protractor – (internal, external, depth, thread and various types of measurements)
(4) Gauges: LIMIT gauges and Fixed gauges – Plug gauges – Ring gauges – snap gauges – Telescopic gauges – Ample gauges – Radius gauges – Screw pitch gauges – Bevel gauges – Bore gauges – Drill gauges – Vernier tooth gauge – Slip gauges – sine bar.
(5) Cutting Tools and Operations: FILE – parts – cut – grade – type – specification – filing techniques – convexity of file – HACKSAW – CHISELS – SCRAPER – DRILLING & DRILLS –Type of Drilling Machines – RPM – CUTTING SPEED – DRILLING TIME – Safety – REAMING – BORING – TAPING – THREAD CUTTING – DIES – GRINDING – Speed of Grinding Wheels
(6) Screw thread and Fasteners: Screw Thread – Element of Thread – Types – Single start –Multi start – right hand – left hand – Foundation Bolts – Type of Bolts – NUTS – STUDS – KEYS - PINS – SPLINES – FLANGES – COUPLINGS – CIRCLIPS – SOLDERING – BRAZING – TINNING – REVETING – SPRINGS – TAPER – Types of Taper.
(7) LIMITS AND FITS LIMITS AND FITS – SURFACE FINISH – GEOMETRICAL TOLERANCE –SURFACE FINISHING OPERATIONS
(8) POWER TRANSMISSION POWER TRANSMISSION – BELT – GEAR – CLUTCHES – BEARINGS – CAM
9) LUBRICATION LUBRICATION – COOLANTS – GENERAL MAINTENANCE
(10) JIG AND FIXTURES – FERROUS AND NON FERROUS METALS – CAST IRON – WROUGHT IRON – STEEL – ALLOYS – NON METALS – Heat Treatment – Forging – Sheet Metal Work – Welding – Pipe and pipe fitting
(11) HYDRAULICS HYDRAULICS HYDRAULICS:- Types of Valves – Symbols – Hydraulic Fluids – Hydraulic Pumps – Pascal’s Law – Hydraulic Actuators – Hydraulic Circuits.
WORKSHOP CALCULATION AND SCIENCE
1. Simple Fraction :- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division
2. Ratio and Proportion
4. Algebra :- Algebraic equations, Quadratic equations
5. Trigonometry :- Trigonometric ratios, Trigonometric identities, Height and Distance Trigonometric values of certain angles
6. Mensuration:- Area of Plane figures (Triangle, Square, Rectangles, Polygons) Volume of Solids (Pyramids and Prisms) , Lengths of Belts.
7. Heat and Temperature:- Definition, Unit, Scales, Co-efficient of Linear Expansion, Latent heat of fusion, Latent heat of vaporization, Thermal Capacity, Interchange of heat, Tansmission of heat, Temperature measuring instrument.
8. Friction:- Definition, Advantages and Disadvantages of Friction, Normal Reaction, Limiting Friction, Law of Limiting Friction, Co-efficient of Friction, Angle of Friction, Inclined Plane.
9. Work, Power, Energy:- Definition, Units, Types of Energy, Kinetic Energy, Potential Energy, Horse Power of Engine, 1 H.P., B.H.P, F.H.P., Mechanical Efficiency, Transmission of Power by a Belt Pully Drive, I H.P. of Steam and Petrol Engines.
10. Moment and Lever:- Definition, Types of Lever, Application of Lever
11. Simple Machines:- Effort, Load, Mechanical Advantage, Velocity Ratio, Efficiency of Machine Screw Jack
12. Forces:- Newton’s Law of Forces, Parallelogram Law, Triangle Law, Conditions of Equilibrium, Kinds of Equilibrium, Moment of Inertia.
13. Mass, Weight, Density and Relative Density.
FACTS ABOUT INDIA & KERALA
Maximum Marks: 100
Exam Duration: 1.15 Hours
Medium of Questions: English.
Candidates can download the Admission Tickets through their One Time Registration Profile in the Website www.keralapsc.gov.in from 12/08/2013.