Current Affairs May 2013 in PDF
Current Affairs May 2013 Questions and Answers for preparing PSC | SSC | UPSC | Civil Services | Bank | RRB and all other Competitive Examinations.
Download the Current Affairs May 2013 Questions and answers in PDF file from the Link at the Bottom.
1. Who has been elected as the chairman of Asian Forum of Parliamentarians on Population and Development (AFPPD)?
Answer: P.J Kurien
2. .........., the developer of the first successful oral vaccination for Polio passed away recently?
Answer: Hilary Koprowski
3. The international Monetary Fund has recently recognized the Government of .......... After 22 years?
4. The Indian-American economist who won the John Bates Clark Medal 2013?
Answer: Raj Chetty John Bates Clark Medal is awarded by the American Economic Association. The award often described as the ‘Baby Nobel’, is considered by many economists to be second only to the Nobel Prize.
5. What is the full form of NOFN?
Answer: National Optical Fibre Network. The scheme recently approved by the Union Government will connect 2,50,000 Gram Panchayats in the country through Optical Fibre Cable.
6. Which power generation company has recently been conferred with the ‘Mini Ratna Category 1’ status by the Government of India?
Answer: North Eastern Electric Power Corporation (NEEPCO)
7. Who wrote the novel ‘The Orphan Master’s Son’, which won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2013?
Answer: Adam Johnson
8. The veteran play back singer .......... who had sung around 3000 songs in Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, Malayalam and Tulu passed away on 14th April?
Answer: P.B Srinivas
9. World Earth Day was observed on:
Answer: April 22
10. What was the theme of 2013 World Earth day (April 22)?
Answer: The face of climate change
11. Who has been elected as the President of the Asian Development Bank (ADB)?
Answer: Takehiko Nakao (Japan)
12. Who has been appointed as the Chairperson of the State Child Rights Commission, Kerala?
Answer: Neela Gangadharan
13. The 200th birth anniversary of .........., the ruler of the erstwhile kingdom of Travancore is being celebrated now?
Answer: Swati Tirunal
14. Which Indian has been appointed as the Vice Chairman of the International Chamber of Commerce?
Answer: Sunil Bharti Mittal
15. The famous Indian Violinist who passed away on April 22?
Answer: Lalgudi Jayaraman
16. Who is sworn in as the new Prime Minister of Italy?
Answer: Enrico Letta
17. The space observatory of the European Space Agency which stopped functioning recently?
Answer: Herschel. It is the largest infrared space telescope ever built.
18. National Civil Services Day was observed on:
Answer: April 21
19. According to the data released by the TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India), which state accounts for the largest number of mobile subscribers in India?
Answer: Uttar Pradesh
20. Who has been appointed as the new Chief Secretary of Kerala?
Answer: E.K Bharat Bhooshan
21. World Asthma Day was observed on:
Answer: May 7
Note: The First Tuesday of May is observed every year as World Asthma Day.
22. The Reserve Bank of India on May 4 reduced the Repo rate to:
23. Where in Haryana India’s first defence university is to be setup?
24. Who is the new Prime Minister of Nepal?
Answer: Khil Raj Regmi
25. Who is the new Prime Minister of North Korea?
Answer: Pak Pong-ju
26. Who is the new president of Bangladesh?
Answer: Abdul Hamid
27. Who becomes the first woman speaker of Bangladesh?
Answer: Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury
28. Who is the new Comptroller and Auditor General of India?
Answer: Shashi Kant Sharma
29. Who become the first Pakistani women to scale the Everest?
Answer: Samina Baig
30. What was the theme of 2013 International Biological diversity Day (May 22)?
Answer: Water and Biodiversity
31. The Reserve Bank of India has projected a GDP growth percent of .......... for 2013-14?
32. World Press Freedom Day was celebrated on:
Answer: May 3
33. Who was honoured by this year’s UNESCO-Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Award?
Answer: Reeyot Alemu (Ethiopia). She has been imprisoned for more than a year branded as Terrorist.
34. The movie named …… produced by IBM Research, has been recognized as the World’s smallest movie ever created?
Answer: A Boy and His Atom. The one minute movie was made by moving carbon monoxide atoms viewed through a Scanning Tunneling Microscope, magnifying them 100 million times.
35. Najib Razak has been sworn in for a second term as the Prime Minister of:
36. Which Indian shuttler has won the Malaysia Open Women’s title?
Answer: P. Sindhu
37. .......... and .......... Are nominated by India for World Heritage Site status in 2013.
Answer: Hill Forts in Rajasthan and the Great Himalayan National Park.
38. The Indian discus thrower who clinched gold in the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) Challenge Meet held in Kingston?
Answer: Vikas Gowda
39. Who got the ISRO Young Scientist Award 2013?
Answer: Jenita Mary Nongkynrih from Meghalaya
40. Who is sworn in as the 22nd Chief Minister of Karnataka?
41. Government of India will observe Year 2013 as:
Answer: Water Conservation Year
42. Who becomes the first Indian amputee to conquer Mt Everest?
Answer: Arunima Sinha
43. Which country signed new constitution into law on 22nd May 2013?
44. Who won the 5th Man Booker International Prize?
Answer: Lydia Davis
45. Who is crowned as the Miss India Worldwide 2013?
Answer: Nehal Bhogaita. Britain’s Nehal Bhogaita has won the title of Miss India Worldwide, making her the first deaf to win the beauty pageant.
46. Who is appointed as the Chief Justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court?
Answer: Kalyan Jyoti Sengupta