Solved Question paper of Postal/Sorting Assistant Examination conducted on 2008.
UP Circle 2008 Aptitude Test
PART I- English
1. What is the synonym for ‘Abhor’?
2. What is the synonym for ‘Sympathetic’?
3. What is the antonym for ‘Beneath’?
4. What is the anonym for ‘Unfold’?
Directions for Q.5 to 7: Each of the questions contain a sentence that has been divided in four parts; viz a, b, c and d. One of these parts contains an error. Read each sentence carefully and detect the error. Indicate the part containing error as answer in the answer sheet.
5. (a) There were many reasons/ (b) that the whole character of the twentieth century/ (c) Should be very different/ (d) from that of me nineteenth.
6. (a) The clothes/ (b) were neatly/ (c) hanged/ (d) on the cloth line.
7. (a) The film show/ (b) began/ (c) when we arrived/ (d) in the hall.
Directions for Q.8 to 10: Each of the questions contain a sentence with two blank places, pick out the most appropriate pair to fill in the blanks, from amongst the options given in the sentence and indicate it as answer in the answer sheet.
8. A man .......... In to the bank .......... a gun.
9. I was born .......... 2nd August .......... 1977.
10. .......... as the bell .......... Children will run for home.
(a)As soon, will ring
(b)As soon, rings
(c)As soon, rang
(d)As soon, ringing
PART II- Mathematics
11. 6.937 + 339.076 + 24.93 + 0.67 =?
(d)None of these
12. Sum of 100 natural numbers is:
13. There two numbers whose sum is 50 and sum of their reciprocals is 1/12, what are the two numbers?
14. If a : b = 4 : 5 and b : c = 6 : 7. Then what is a : c ?
15. The average monthly salary of the employees is Rs. 320. Out of these employees, 12 officers get an average salary of Rs. 280 per month. What is the number of employees?
16. If A and B can individually do a piece of work in 10 days and 15 days respectively, then in how many days will the Work be completed, If they work together?
17. A passenger train 150 m long travelling at a speed of 81 kmp/h crosses another train 165 m long coming from opposite direction in 9 sec. What is the speed of another train?
18. A man rows down the stream 30km and upstream 18km taking 15hrs each time. What is the speed of water in stream?
(a)1.2 km p/h
19. Average age of a couple was 26 years at the time of their marriage. After 11 years of marriage, the average age of the family with 3 children become 19 years. What is the average age of the children?
20. A man loses 10% on selling a toy for 16.80. Find his selling price of the toy, if he earns 20% profit.
PART III- General Knowledge
21. Who is the chairman of RajyaSabha?
22. Who was the first Minister of Communication of India?
(d)Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
23. In Mahabharata, who was the sister of Kauravas?
24. Amartya Sen was awarded Nobel Prize for his contribution in:
25. Who is the author of Meghdootam?
26. How many electrons does hydrogen have?
27. What is the currency of Bangladesh?
28. Which one of the following rivers flow in to the Arabian Sea?
29. Match the following:
A.Mukesh Ambani 1. Wipro
B.Azim Premji 2. Kingfisher Airlines
C.Nandan Nilekani 3. Reliance
D.Vijay Malllia 4. Infosys
The correct answer is:
a. A-3, B-4, C-1,D-2
b. A-3, B-1, C-4, D-2
c. A-3, B-2, C-1, D-4
d. A-2, B-3, C-1, D-4
30. Which countries are known as BRIC?
(a)Britain, Romaina, India, Canada
(b)Brazil, Russia, Indiam China
(c)Britain, Romania, Iran, Canada
(d)Brazil, Russia, Iran, China
31. Which of the following was the first state in India formed on linguistic basis?
32. Who amongst the following was scored highest number of runs in test cricket?
33. Match the following:
(a)Distance 1. Celsius
(b)Temperature 2. Gram
(c)Time 3. Light Year
(d)Mass 4. Month
The correct answer is:
(a) A-3, B-4, C-1, D-2
(b)A-3, B-2, C-1, D-4
(c)A-3, B-1, C-4, D-2
(d)A-2, B-3, C-1, D-4
34 . What is the international standard unit for measurement of Temperature?
35. Which of the following clours is not present in the Indian Flag?
(a) India Saffron
(b) India Green
(c) Navy Blue
(d) India Orange
36. under the night airmail service started in 1949, Which of the following cities was acting hubs?
(a) Safdarjang, NewDelhi
(d) Juhu, Mumbai
37. When was the last world philatelic exhibition held in India?
38. Who gave the title Father of Nation to Mahatma Gandhi?
(a) Jawaharlal Nehru
(b) Sardar Patel
(c) Netaji Bose
(d) Gurudev Tagore
39. Match the following:
(a) Akbar 1. Alamgir
(b) Md. Salim 2. Shahenshah
(c) Khurrun 3. Shahjahan
(d) Aurangaseb 4. Jehangir
The correct Answer is:
(a) A-2, B-4, C-3, D-1
(b) A-3, B-1, C-1, D-2
(c) A-2, B-1, C-4, D-3
(d) A-3, B-4, C-2, D-1
40. At which of the following places did Shri Guru Gobind Singh breathe his last?
PART IV- Reasoning
41. Cow : Calf :: Lioness:?
Directions for Q 42 and 43: Three of the four options are alike in certain way and so form a group. Which one of the does not belong to the group?
44. In a certain code. CONDEMN is written as CNODMEN. How will TEACHER be written in that code?
45. Among five boys, Vasant is taller than Manohar, but not as tall as Raju. Jayant is taller than Dutta, but shorter than Manohar. Who is tallest in the group?
(d) Can’t be determined
46. How many 6’s are there in the following series of numbers which are preceded by 7 but not immediately followed by 9?
6 7 9 5 6 9 7 6 8 7 6 7 8 6 9 4 6 7 7 6 9 5 7 6 3
47. Which number would replace under line mark in the series?
2, 5, 10, 17, …………., 37
(d)None of the above
48. JAZ, LEX, NIV, PMT?
49. A, B, C and D are playing cards. A and B are partners. D faces towards North. If A faces towards West, then who faces towards South?
(c) Data Inadequate
(d) None of these
50. T is the son of P. S is the son of Q. T is married to R. R is Q’s daughter. How is S related to T?
1. A 2. C 3. C 4. B 5. B
6. C 7. B 8. D 9. C 10. B
11. C 12. A 13. D 14. C 15. D
16. A 17. A 18. A 19. C 20. A
21. B 22. C 23. B 24. C 25. D
26. A 27. D 28. C 29. B 30. C
31. C 32. D 33. C 34. A 35. D
36. B 37. B 38. C 39. A 40. D
41. B 42. D 43. B 44. D 45. A
46. C 47. B 48. A 49. A 50. D